First brew in the new house

About a month ago we moved into our new place. It's a cozy single family home with enough space for us and our hobbies. We've been slowly unpacking and adjusting to the new location.

We had a few leftover bottles of makgeolli when we moved, but I'm in the mood for a fresh brew, something to go with pajeon. This time I'm using 650 grams of rice and 100 grams of nuruk. 

I tried something different for soaking the rice. After washing, I placed the rice in the steamer basket and submerged the whole basket assembly in water. That is what you see wrapped in the cheesecloth in the pictures. 

The rice and nuruk were soaked for 3 hours, and the rice was cooked in the pressure cooker for 12 minutes after reaching pressure. When the rice was done, it looked a little under cooked in the center. One of the makgeolli texts said that it was ok to have al dente rice when making godu bap (고두밥). It shouldn't be a problem, but the rice seems to puff up a bit more in the fermenter when it isn't fully cooked. This is something I want to look into in the future; what is the proper consistency of the godu bap, and why?

For this brew I've got a champagne yeast, Lalvin EC-1118, but I didn't add it to the fermenter with the rice and nuruk. Instead, I'm going to let the rice and nuruk sit for a day so the amylase enzymes present in the nuruk can do their thing. The yeast will be activated and pitched into the fermenter tonight at the 24-hour mark. I'm not sure what kind of different results this will yield, if any.

The plan is to let the brew ferment for the usual 5~7 days after the yeast is pitched. 
Updates to follow...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

H-Mart Nuruk

Nuruk Comparison

New Hangari