Translation: Making a Makgeolli Starter

The translation section has been updated with a recipe for making a makgeolli starter. The starter can be used to get your brew started off on the right foot, with a healthy, active colony of hungry yeast and a dose of enzymes.

I've found this recipe to be very useful, and I go back to it from time to time when starting a fresh batch of makgeolli. It is also very easy to modify to your needs, and can be scaled without much difficulty.


The recipe can be found here, or by using the navigation. Happy brewing!

Comments

  1. How much of the starter should I use in 1kg of steamed rice? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One half or one third of the amount from the recipe should do well with 1kg of rice. You may even have success using 1/4th the amount described.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much, I also had questions about rice amts and water amts but I searched the group and found your updated blog pertaining to multiple stage brews. My only question then is what is the life expectancy for refrigerated starter? Thanks so much for the great info in your blog.

      Delete
    4. Great! I'm glad my blog is still a resource. I've been absent from it for quite some time due to personal life.

      As for shelf life, after 3 days in the fridge it'll need to be reinvigorated with some simple sugars and left to warm up to room temperature. You can add more cooked (cooled) rice flour or just granulated sugar to wake the yeast up.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

H-Mart Nuruk

Nuruk Comparison

New Hangari