Updates and Goals

It's been a while since I've updated, so let's get back to business with some updates and goals.

Updates
I haven't been brewing makgeolli yet, but I plan to in the near future. It took some time to get settled back in the USA with my wife, and it is her first time living here as a permanent resident. It's much different than going somewhere for a set amount of time like 1-2 years, so we're taking the time to do things right and not haphazardly.

Back to the topic at hand... makgeolli!

On my recent trip to H-Mart I found nuruk again. However, this time there were two brands of nuruk. This is a major win for the makgeolli maker(s) in The City of Philadelphia! I'll update with pictures shortly. The H-Mart location I'm talking about is...

7320 Old York Rd, Elkins Park, PA 19027

More locations can be found at hmart.com, but I know that different locations stock different items. Therefore, just because there is an H-Mart in your area does not mean that they will stock nuruk. If any makgeolli makers in the US are in desperate need, leave me a comment and we can talk about getting you some.

Another piece of exciting news is that friends, and friends of friends, have recently expressed interest in learning how to make a simple batch of makgeolli. If there interest is genuine, I may host a workshop on brewing makgeolli! More details to come...


Goals
I'm a firm believer of being held accountable for one's goals. It is true motivation for me when I publicly state my goals for any endeavor, so here it goes for makgeolli:

Translate Korean makgeolli book(s) into English - This will be a semi-long term goal aimed at both improving my understanding of brewing and Korean language at the same time. Yes, it is quite a lofty goal, but I think it is definitely achievable. Hopefully, I will be able to translate the book section-by-section. I can even translate some of the more relevant chapters first for those who have a particular interest. I plan to post whole pages, or sections, to this blog as they are completed. 


Make a fresh batch of makgeolli - Just to get back into the swing of things

Host a workshop (tentative) - This is tentative and short-term. It depends upon the interest of the friends mentioned above. If I do host a workshop and it goes well, I may consider renting/borrowing a space and opening it up to the public.

Make makgeolli for our wedding/anniversary BBQ - A short-term goal to make enough makgeolli to serve guests at our wedding reception. Of course this would include making anju as well. This may involve tasting/blending or making a special makgeolli cocktail for the occasion.


There are many exciting goals that I'm looking forward to. More updates to come and, as always, comments and questions are welcome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

H-Mart Nuruk

Nuruk Comparison

New Hangari